Are you experiencing dry skin? Are you facing more stress and anxiety? Or are you facing issues of constipation and restless sleep? If so, these are all signs you have an imbalance due to the shift in Autumn. The characteristics of Fall are dry, light cold, and windy. These characteristics can lead to similar imbalances in your body and skin.
1. Give yourself more time to slow down and ground yourself. Some good yoga asanas include Lotus Pose, Forward Fold, Back Bend, Spinal Twist, Cobra, and Cat and Cow.
2. Avoid foods that are dry in nature, such as chips, crackers, and popcorn. Skip these for more moist or warming foods.
3. For breakfast we recommend turmeric oatmeal with ginger and ghee. For lunch a warming food such as mung dahl, kitchari, steamed vegetables with rice, or soups are recommended. Make lunch your largest meal. Avoid raw food as the weather gets colder.
4. Incorporate more warming oils into your life. Try applying sesame oil to your body. This is a warming oil that will help pull out toxins from your skin and deeply moisturize your skin.
5.Try not to drink black tea or coffee late in the day. At night have non-caffeinated herbal teas.
6. Dress in warm clothes in and outdoors. In wind, make sure to keep your head, ears, and hands covered.
7. Avoid fasting at this time of year. This creates too much lightness and can lead to more imbalances.
8. Try to avoid vigorous exercise. An example is if you are feeling unbalanced to switch from running to yoga to ground yourself physically and mentally.
9. Avoid loud noise, fast driving, and too much sexual activity.
10. Drinking a warm cup of milk or a milk alternative at bedtime in Autumn is good for sound, natural sleep. Heat the milk until it boils and drink once a bit cooled. Add ginger, cardamom, and nutmeg for a warming and soothing affect that will aid in digestion of the milk or milk alternative.
Also, remember to hold compassion and love for yourself no matter what you’re going through. Sometimes we can be so hard on ourselves for not being perfect and this only aids in worse feelings. Breathe and know there are people in your life that love and support you.